Following the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference and the numerous changes in climate that we’ve witnessed over the past years, we have decided to minimise our impact on the planet as much as we possibly can.
At first glance, cardboard boxes might appear flimsy, but high–quality cardboard is strong, durable, and able to withstand a surprising amount of damage. The old packaging comprised of a cardboard shell and foam inserts. Our new packaging is made–to–measure and does not require any extra cushioning. The viewports fit in there snuggly and there are no disadvantages in terms of security.
Here are some reasons why we decided to start using recycled cardboard packaging:
1. It is one of the materials with the least environmental impact. Its manufacture means a reduction
of up to 60% in CO2 and oil emissions compared to other materials.
2. It is 100% recyclable and biodegradable. Corrugated cardboard degrades completely within a
maximum period of one year. As it is basically cellulose, its decomposition time is short and if it is
exposed to favourable weather conditions, i.e., it is in a humid environment, this degradation
accelerates even more. Cardboard can also be used as a great garden compost material.
3. Minimises waste generation. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle is the best way to avoid the unnecessary
consumption of cardboard.
4. Recycled cardboard does not lose durability or resistance. After recycling, corrugated cardboard
does not lose quality or properties and is also more economical.
5. Recycling cardboard allows us to save energy that can be used in the manufacture of other
resources. 90% less water and 50% less electricity are needed compared to manufacturing new cardboard.
The next phase in reducing our environmental impact is switching over to completely compostable paper
wrap and air cushions. Keep an eye out for our next newsletter to find out more.